Incessant bickering, In fighting, and Identity in the Internet culture of Paganism


Well, it's rant time again...Most of those who know me know that I strive to keep this blog informative as well as insightful. I try to bring as little drama as possible into this environment, simply because Vanatru is a fairly new and oft misunderstood part of both heathen and pagan beliefs which have coalesced in the last few decades into a real meaningful and serious new tradition. However, most also know, especially those who participate in groups or forums I frequent, that I am a HIGHLY opinionated woman. So every once in awhile I have to spew a little venom about the constant flux of douchebaggery which I normally strive to avoid at all cost.

Apparently, my attitude is at times misconstrued as "holier than thou" as a woman of opinion and self respect. For example, an old male friend that I had not spoken too in some time approached me in the early hours of the morning a few weeks ago and regaled me with his long pent sexual desires. This was a person that I have known forever and someone who I dearly respected for many years. I assumed the RESPECT part was mutual, but was sorely mistaken.I will spare the details of the conversation, needless to say I declined the offer and informed the man that I was in a committed relationship with another man and had no interest in infidelity (whatsoever). At this point the "old friend" proceeded to call me "bi-polar" and informed me my attitude was "holier than thou." So, as usual, as a woman, I am relegated to the old whore versus virgin boxing system which exists in the minds of crude men.

The point is that the presence of love, loyalty, and fierce mental independence of women is still viewed as something of a negative personality trait by the vast majority of men (and women) in modern, and especially American culture. So this post is basically my way of saying fuck you to mindless, warbling, illogical, uneducated, ignorant, and delusional individuals who in my opinion have no business contributing to the human gene pool. Many of which call the Internet their playground, and especially those who make a mockery of paganism and heathenry while claiming to be its spokespeople. If the prescence of independent thought and compassionate feeling make me "holier than thou," well perhaps you are correct there.

I find it rather interesting how most of the bloggers on large incorporated "religion" or "belief" sites attempt to portray themselves as the spokesmen and women of the pagan and or heathen movements, yet the content of their sites are relegated specifically to stating their personal opinions about sensationalized news stories and our conflicts within the pagan community. Let's take the whole Z Budapest debacle from a few months ago as an example. In reading the majority of mainstream pagan sites at the time, I noticed something troubling. Much bantering and bickering about the negative and positive emotional impacts of the conflict, and little to no focus on practical paganism, traditions, or beliefs. To be honest it angered me, and some may have read my last rant post I wrote at the time.

I let it go, yet now it seems, here we go again. For about a month now I have noticed that these spokespeople have moved creepingly forward, not to relevant information, but now to the whole UK based controversy about African witchcraft and the unfortunate child who was murdered by family members. Yet instead of treating this horrifying event as lesson in the need for tolerance, and moving forward in remembrance and focus on the pagan lifestyle, NO. Instead it has yet again evolved into a war of opinion, debate, and hysteria about them evil christianz, and racism within the pagan community, and yada yada fucking yada.

Do I think the murder of an innocent child for their so called beliefs or powers should be swept under the rug? NO. But I do believe that meeting ignorance with ignorance is never gonna lead to a change in stereotypes against pagan and heathen faiths. Frankly, I am disturbed by these "famous" pagans who seem to think that being pagan means that they are at war with the world, or public opinion, or christianity itself. It smacks of fundamentalist, conservative ignorance.

How about dedicating say, hmmm, a post a week to what REAL PAGANISM  and/or REAL HEATHENRY looks like, feels like, in your own lives. How bout dedicating one post to information, and education, rather than your personal opinion crusade to destroy all that is not neopagan? The conflict we face as followers of pagan and heathen faiths in a postmodern world goes far beyond the ability of a personal (however convincing) argument. If we expect ignorance to change, really change, there is only one path which can conquer it. And that is knowledge.

Faith is a highly personal and meaningful part of our identity, no matter what that particular faith may be. Yet argument and debate rely on the idea of right and wrong. Each time one wins,another loses, and there is always inequality. Can we use an argument to create tolerance and equality? I don't believe so. Knowledge, compassion, and tolerance are the only way.

Which is why modern day pagan and mixed faith sites bug the shit out of me. I am tired of punching into my google and seeing links to three famous pagans who have posted fifty times a day about this that or another story in which someone was treated unfairly and they have an opinion about it. If you are not giving me real, honest information about living as a pagan, how your tradition works, and educating others who are interested, you need to step down off the pedestal. If this is how you operate, then you honestly know nothing about being a REAL PAGAN,OR A REAL HEATHEN. You are a fraud and a phony who has a self induced case of grandiose illusions. I can read the news, and I have my own damn opinions. If you can't EDUCATE me, then GTFO.

In Frith,
Cena

previous rant on panthea con, hatred, and inequality exclusionary tactics and equality

Comments

  1. I'm cheering loudly for you! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you link to your previous post that you mention in this article?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://wanewyrds.blogspot.com/2012/03/exclusionary-tactics-and-equality.html here u go, basically a rant on many things, including the panthea con mess

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a fan in me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! I am glad u all enjoyed! And I posted the link on the bottom of the post, Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and well said. Perhaps I should clean some of the muck out of my own blog. I rant a lot there. This has kind of hit home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not entirely sure what you mean in part of your post. For clarity's sake, I'll pick your reference to the UK scandal (of which I hadn't heard, but will look up).

    In your post, it sounded to me like you felt that Pagan 'celebs' shouldn't post about these controversial issues for fear of causing a firestorm on the web. (I don't mean this in a condescending way. I really mean that it sounded as such to me, but I'd like to know what was really being said.) You mention that they aren't educating, but rather are doing something else....what is that something else you feel they are doing? Aren't they educating their readers about what happened, and presenting their point of view as a potential Pagan interpretation?

    Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the kind of bloggers you're talking about (I'm kind of hoping that I'm that lucky!) and so I'm having a hard time envisioning what you're describing; could you help me understand a bit more?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. achangingaltar, I think you misunderstood a bit, which is understandable. I didn't refer to specific people which made it a bit ambiguous. I do not concern myself with firestorms on the web. What I was speaking of is main stream interfaith sites, such as Patheos, not specifically pagancentric sites. I have no problem with the occasional rant on a news story directly related to paganism, such as hate crimes or issues like the panthea con incident with Z Budapest. What I have a problem with is when a few well known "pagan" figures tend to focus their voices on these issues and disregard all other aspects of paganism. What concerns me is that I keep track of some of these blogs and such and there is no relevant pagan content, no discussion of practical information, no real substance to their public image outside of constantly seeking out any tiny tidbit of information about how this or that pagan was persecuted for their beliefs. Then they rant and distribute these arguments everyday, a constant barrage of meaningless crap. Yes, their are people out there who are persecuted, and they deserve a forum. Yet when I read these people's post for months on end and have not even a singular clue to what they believe, or live their lives as a pagan, I do not feel that really does a service to the pagan community. What I mean is their is no balance. f you are a public figure who represents pagan beliefs, why would you focus your entire image on "news" rather than education? If I am new to paganism, and I find this person because they are in the mainstream, what am I really learning about besides how to be pissed of and argue? They are not teaching paganism, they are teaching debate. My point is this is not how we quell ignorance. W e quell ignorance by talking to people, showing them what we believe, how we live, and how we are as human as those of any other faith. Spreading sensational news is not educational to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this post & completely agree with your assessment of the current Pagan "celebs" who seem to get the most exposure online.

    I specifically started my blog Flame and Forge (http://childofbrighid.wordpress.com/) with the intent of NOT making it about ranting, personal issues, etc... I want it to be solely about my spiritual life as a Pagan, issues I feel are interesting/educational & how I practice. Although I'm not opposed to weighing in on news pieces that have some relevance to Paganism, I've yet to go there. Not saying that I wouldn't, but I feel like the purpose of my blog is more to give people a glimpse into what it is to BE Pagan and LIVE as a Pagan daily. So I get it when you say that there is no balance in certain blogs & that it'd be nice to know what they believed, how they practiced and what sorts of things they feel are relevant to modern day Pagans, aside from activism and controversy.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Bridey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridey,your comment was exactly my point. I do rant here myself from time to time and I have no problem with commenting on the occasional pagan news type story. But as you said, I feel as if you are a public figure representing paganism, then they should be educating others about pagan spirituality and lifestyle rather than controversy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bridey, my comment got lost there for some reason but I wanted to say that you hit it right on the head for me. This is what I was trying to put out there. I have no problem with the occasional rant myself, but it shouldn't be the focus IMO. I choose to rant only when I feel it is a segue way into discussing something that I feel is relevant to my personal practice or beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for the double comment there, my first lost comment magically reappeared lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh well said Cena, well said.
    It is these people who constantly creep into my thoughts every time I consider re making my pagan blog.
    After your most eloquent rant I am once again seriously considering dusting off my keyboard and starting it over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish you would Jim I miss reading about your experiences and thoughts on pagan living!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Paradox of Open Mindedness

The God Files: Freyr

Going Heathen: A guide for transitioners