House Spirits: the Kobolde and their ways


One of the best illustrations of the limitations of a myth centered practice, which relies solely on accepted historical sources (Edda thumpers), is that it negates a large part of lesser documented folkloric beliefs. There is a tendency in hardcore reconstructionism to ignore or demean folkloric references as they are often changeable,  unsubstantiated by historical evidence, or well not ACADEMIC enough I suppose. Yet in my opinion, it is in folklore that a tradition can reveal its truly human essence, as well as illustrate how a belief system translates into relevance in the average persons life. Not how the exalted, higher classes, nobility, or christian monastics viewed the Gods and related to them. Folklore reveals how even the poorest of peasants understood the Gods and the cosmos, and how they still found value in being heathen.

This is why I chose to write this article about house-spirits. The Fairy folk, the Little People, the Sprites, or  the Alfar and the landwights. No matter what you choose to call them, they are omnipresent within the folklore of the European continent, and nearly every other culture on earth. The house spirits are simply one category of them who choose to be nearer to us, to live in silence and secrecy in our very homes, and represent an important part of pagan and heathen belief on an ordinary human level.

To describe the myriad of fae figures which can be classified in this group could take a book. In fact, those interested in the fairy legends and folklore should pick up Nancy Arrowsmith's classic field guide to the Little People. I had seen this book several time over the year's, and it's title and presentation made me a bit reticent about it's quality. Yet about a year ago I picked up a used copy, and to my surprise found that this "field guide" was actually the product of the author's extensive dedication (YEARSSSSS) to traveling abroad and collecting even the most obscure references of the fairy folk in both literature and folklore. The book is a fantastic resource to the folklore of the various little people who inhabit the European continent. The rerelease of this classic by Llewellyn should not set anyone to worry, as the edition is simply a more kitschy illustrated, visually appealing (typical Llewellyn cheesiness) of the original work published by another company. And I can say honestly that many of the added illustrations are both adorable and frightening.

Since this is a heathen blog, I wanted to focus specifically on the most well known of Northern European house sprites, the Kobolde. According to the field guide, the kobolde is quite common in Northern European folklore, and could be both benevolent or viciously antagonistic to the homeowner.

Originally, the kobolde was a tree sprite, which in ancient times homeowners would cut a bit of wood from the tree in a way to essentially trap the sprite inside a carved wooden doll figure. These figures were then locked away or sealed in glass containers to prevent their escape, and hidden within the house. In essence, the kobolde became a slave to it's master, and if anyone but the homeowner opened the container the kobolde would escape and wreak havoc for all which lived within the home. This belief was so important that parents warned children never to touch the container which housed the kobolde. It is a belief that the "jack in the box" toy was derived from older versions of toys made for children which contained a frightening  figure or image, as a way of deterring a child from touching the kobolde by fright.

Over time, alternative methods of catching kobolde's emerged. Birds seen alighting on anthills on particular holy days were caught and kept in the home, believed to be kobolde's in disguise. There are references to koboldes taking the form of cats, worms, and even children as well. In modern times, the kobolde has managed to free himself from human captivity, yet has also come to love the easy lifestyle found in modern homes. So much so that today's folklore suggests that koboldes now choose homes of their own free will.

Koboldes now test the homes they wish to live in, by making some sort of small mess,such as throwing a bit of dirt on the floor or knocking things over. If the mess is left by the owners for a time, the kobolde considers this as a sign of welcome. Once a kobolde chooses a home, it is unlikely that they will ever leave. They typically choose a dark corner and claim it as their own. Over the years it is more than likely they will do both service and disservice to the owner, as they possess a most changeable nature.

For modern heathens, one should tread with care when attempting to deal with the house spirits. It is commonly accepted that a simple saucer of milk or other bit of food left for the house spirit is more than enough to keep them happy. In common folkloric knowledge, overgifting is perhaps the worst way to approach any sprite. In human culture, extravagant gift giving is favorable, yet to the little ones it is likely to be taken as the worst of insults. Take care when gifting your home sprites, give moderately, and NEVER give a gift of clothing! I have yet to read a story of any sprite who reacted favorably to gifts of clothing.

We can infer several things about heathen beliefs in the lore of the kobolde, and other home sprites.

  • the animistic belief in land wights, specifically wood and tree sprites
  • human ability to hold a sprite captive
  • an inherent risk for the master of holding a captive sprite
  • an exclusive partnership between sprite and homeowner
  • shapeshifting as an ability of the sprite
In terms of personal experience, I believe that I possess one in my own home, though he moved in only within the last two years. The relationship has been beneficial for the most part, he is particularly good at helping find lost objects, especially jewelry and lost keys which reappear in plain sight in the early morning hours. However, I learned firsthand recently about their variable nature, when doing some extensive decorating changes in my room. A deep enclosed corner shelf was removed from beneath the window and for a time the spot was bright and empty.

 During that time, it seemed like each day I woke to some sort of mess, and within the week felt my control over clutter had completely slipped away. No matter what I did I felt I would never get on top of things again. A week later the corner became  the new home of a desk and some large floor speakers. Again it was shrouded in darkness. Slowly but surely the house returned to normal, and clutter became more organized. But I sensed that my changes had disrupted the sprite, and still months later detect a sulleness in the air at times when I see a quick little shadow slip through the doorway out of the corner of my eye. When I think of him, I can almost see him standing in the dark corner, his back turned, arms crossed, and haughty expression on his face. He's still a little testy.  =) 

In Frith,
Cena







Comments

  1. Really interesting post. I had never considered that a house spirit might not already be present in a house...
    in a slightly seperate note, have you ever read Cunningfolk and Familiar Spirits by Emma Wilby? It's not at all Heathen but she has some interesting views on the folklore that surrounded the witch craze specifically in a British context and examines the fairy lore of the time. Really interesting book.
    (I'm Elenna btw, on Norse Women)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kinda sounds like "Fred, the Gremlin" that a secretary I worked with "brought" with her. She said he loved to steal things and then put them back after you searched the office for it. Like when you lay a paper on your desk and do something else. When you come back, the paper is gone. After you look at almost every paper on every desk, when you get back to yours, there it lays right on top of all the other papers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elenna, I haven't heard of that book, to be honest I haven't studied much about the fairy besides the house sprites and the wights in general. I will have to check that one out as I am starting to read more lately about both Celtic mythos and also other beleifs from the British Isles.

    Ila,
    That sounds very similar to my little friend, I kinda have the feeling like he is attracted to shiny little things like keys and jewelry, I almost think maybe he keeps a hoarde somewhere and simply brings things back whenever I miss something. I have several pieces of jewelry which seem to go missing alot more often than others. One of my most precious is a very tiny golden skeleton key that I can just imagine would be the perfect size for a kobolde medallion. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, reading my comment I haven't made it at all clear how the book relates to your post... infact I sound completely random!!! Anyway, surfice to say your post put me in mind of this book. Interestingly just read your post on the fetch which also made me think of the same book again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just ordered Arrowsmith's book from Amazon. If it isn't good, I'll blame you, Cena! :P

    Seriously though, it looks pretty comprehensive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Paradox of Open Mindedness

The God Files: Freyr

Going Heathen: A guide for transitioners