Plant Spirit Totems?



I have been thinking a bit lately about the spirits of plants. Not long ago I finished reading Jenny Blain's Nine Worlds of Seid Magic and I was intrigued when one of the seidmen she interviewed described his interactions with a particular plant spirit. I can't at this moment remember exactly what it was, but it got me thinking.
There is always much talk in the pagan community about animal totems, especially among those that practice modern and reconstructionist forms of shamanism, or techniques of it. Seidr itself could be described in some sense as a partly shamanic neopagan tradition by some practitioners. But what about plant spirits? Or plant totems even?
I began thinking about whether many of us are not missing out on a powerful part of our spirituality by focusing all the energy on animals and neglecting to explore our connection to plants as well. Now obviously I am not speaking about everyone who is pagan. The use of herbs in magic and medicine is one of the most traditional practices among pagan religions all over the world, past and present. I am one of many witches who incorporates herbal ingredients into nearly all my spiritual work. Many others do as well.
But how often do we really hear about the spirits of plants, or mention of plant totems, outside of those traditions such as herbalism or native shamanism which rely on them. It seems in nearly every pagan tradition I have read about, at some point or another there is mention on animal totems and spirits. But rarely do I hear a serious discussion of the spiritual nature of plants, outside of there use in spell work.
On some level, I see it as a reflection of our culture and thoughts about the earth in general. No one can deny that in this day and age, most of us do not think twice about the plants and how they are used within our consumerist society. We have a tendency to ignore the plants around us, and take them for granted. They are everywhere we turn, we become numb to them. If an animal goes extinct or is abused, someone will notice and feel pity. But we are taught from birth to take for granted the other half of our world, the various plants in our environment that we trample upon from the first moment we begin to step outside. We simple view the plant life as something to be used, consumed, or look pretty. We rarely think about its spiritual nature...but how many of us could stand inside a forest of redwoods and not simply be in awe of the natural world?
In some sense, when I started thinking of this, I was a little ashamed of myself. I realized that on my own path, I had neglected to think twice about the spiritual value of plants. I started thinking about the plants and flowers that mean the most to me, that I am drawn to. I started thinking of them not as simple organisms, but as individual spirits which should be afforded respect.
Lavender has always been a plant I have been drawn too. In any form, the essence of lavender has always been a comfort as well as a powerful magical ingredient to me. The smell, the look of the plant, the ways that I had used it in my life, I realized all these things had a spiritual meaning to me personally. Whether one can call it a totem, I don't know. But what I do know is that the spirit of lavender is one that always has and always will resonate with me in my lifetime.
Now I am not saying that each time we step onto the grass, we should be consumed with guilt, or that we should mount a campaign to stop eating them or using them for any purpose. Indeed the human race would have been extinct long ago if that was even remotely possible. I simply think that we should be aware that these organisms contain the essence of life, spirit, and earth within them, just as much as we do as humans.
In our daily lives, we should strive to have respect for the plant life we come into contact with. Instead of simply growing plants, or landscaping for aesthetic value only, we should instead focus on nurturing the plants around us into life, and with respect to the environment itself. Take time to lay your hands upon the rough bark of the oak tree and feel its quiet strength. Gaze upon the colorful flowers around you and see the reflection of life inside them.

With Love and Light
Cena

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Paradox of Open Mindedness

The God Files: Freyr

Going Heathen: A guide for transitioners