Dualizing Nordic Belief: A FARCE!

One, they attacked Norse pagans for overly "democratic" thinking.
Modern so-called civilization encourages this inner chaos. The reason the
gods built a cosmos is that chaos is too full, contains too many possibilities
that cancel each other out. (Hence, creation myths speak of a primeval battle
between gods and giants, etc.) Cosmos exists on many levels, and if we want to
help the gods in their work of world-building and maintenance, the best thing we
can do is to imitate them in our own lives. The first step is obvious. If you
want to plant a garden, you must pull up the weeds. To be democratic about it
and say the weeds have as much right as other plants in the yard, is to soon see
a yard overgrown with weeds. Form depends on limit, and limit is achieved by
subtraction, by renunciation, as the Hindus say.
gods built a cosmos is that chaos is too full, contains too many possibilities
that cancel each other out. (Hence, creation myths speak of a primeval battle
between gods and giants, etc.) Cosmos exists on many levels, and if we want to
help the gods in their work of world-building and maintenance, the best thing we
can do is to imitate them in our own lives. The first step is obvious. If you
want to plant a garden, you must pull up the weeds. To be democratic about it
and say the weeds have as much right as other plants in the yard, is to soon see
a yard overgrown with weeds. Form depends on limit, and limit is achieved by
subtraction, by renunciation, as the Hindus say.
Now, on the surface, I'd say this contains a couple valid thoughts, but the framework is horribly faulty IMO. It infuriates me when individuals assert this black and white thought pattern when it comes to equating the Gods with order(good) and the giants with chaos and destruction(evil). How much scholarship and reading does it take to understand that this is a fallacy?
There is plenty of evidence for benevolence when it comes to the race of the giants. Many of the Aesir gods had some level of giant parentage, or were fostered by them at one point or another. The idea of the giant foster-mother is one that appears in numerous myths and sagas. Saying that the giants are but chaotic destruction and the Gods are a reflection of ultimate order? It screams of dualism, and Abrahamic idealism about the very forces of the universe!
So whatever right, I decided to let it go, until I came across this gem as well...
The division of gods and goddesses by function teaches this truth. Each deity
limits him or herself to a certain field of action. We who live in a collapsed
monotheism are trying, perhaps unconsciously, to take an interest in everything
and do a little of everything, like little Yahwehs. The result is, we
accomplish little of what we undertake.
limits him or herself to a certain field of action. We who live in a collapsed
monotheism are trying, perhaps unconsciously, to take an interest in everything
and do a little of everything, like little Yahwehs. The result is, we
accomplish little of what we undertake.
I'm sorry if I offend any of my readers, but this is UTTER BULLSHIT. To claim that relegating the Gods to a "specific" field of action to me is a denial of their power on the whole. Truth?! Where is this text, this neat table that tells me which God I should sacrifice to for the love of popcorn, or what Goddess I should pray to when I am in need of the toilet paper in the closet? Sorry for the obvious ridicule, but really? To say one God is responsible for this or that action or circumstance is a fallacy.
Im not saying their is no evidence that certain Gods/esses where associated more with common themes than others. But there are shades of grey...If one has a repoire with Thor, then their is no reason one cannot ask his help in matters of love, even if he is associated commonly with battle. It you have a relationship with Freyja, does that mean I can only speak to her or ask her assistance in love matters? Perhaps I am repelled by Njord but wish to ask a blessing for a sea voyage or fishing trip, what then?
In my mind, relegating Gods to this or that is the mark of the amateur, still clinging to Abrahamic idealism about good and evil. Wishing to put the Gods and Godddesses of the Norse into nice neat cubbyholes to be stowed in the closet until we have need of their particular specialty.
How bout cultivating a real relationship with the Gods and Goddesses instead of trying to box them away. How about speaking with them, giving for them, and asking for their help in understanding the many facets of their individual nature. Our Gods are not meant to be put away on the shelf, boxed into dualistic roles which are untrue to them. They are alive in the very working of the universe around us...
My advice to the author of these opinions? Spend less time studying the Eddas, and spend more time cultivating a relationship with the Gods. You are likely to have your mind blown my friend...
Love and Light
Cena
Very very good points, I especially agree with you on the points about the Gods and not being limited to specific roles. The first thing this made me think of was some attribute list you'd find in some general pagan introduction book published for laymen.
ReplyDeleteFirst even with what is written in the sagas many of the gods overlap in their "fields" they don't limit themselves but just like people I think they have specialties. That is what we see, not that they are limited to that it's just traits they've been specifically recognized for.
I defo agree with you Velody, I think I see the Gods as more individualized beings than as specialized spirit of this or that. I think what matters the most above all is our relationship with a particular deity, rather than their specialty when it comes to how they interact with us and our personal wyrd. =) Thanks for the the comments!
ReplyDelete