Just added a new fb page so I can share more information and links that interest me and are relevant to the blog. Please like my new FB page if you are a follower, you can like using the fb like box on the sidebar or check out:
Dualism at it's most sentimental and least truthful... One of the catch all phrases of modern paganism is OPEN MINDEDNESS. I myself am not immune to it's use, because it implies something that I feel is positive, in moderation. This post is about what happens when Open Mindedness becomes something less positive, and in some cases transforms itself into it's exact opposite. “Beware: open-mindedness will often say, 'Everything is permissible except a sharp opinion.” ― Criss Jami Positive open mindedness needs a heavy dose of discretion. Negative open mindedness can be summed up by the phrase, "If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything." This is the paradox of open mindedness. If we increase open mindedness to a level that encompasses all perceived reality, we cannot truly believe anything. Why? Because extreme open mindedness is close mindedness. If all beliefs and all perceptions are viewed as truth, even contradictions, are negated....
I wanted to write this post from the standpoint of someone who found heathenry while practicing a pagan/wiccan faith, to give those unfamiliar with the Norse viewpoint some tips and pointers in the process of deciding if heathenry might be a path you are interested in. As most know, their is much eclecticism in the faith of Vanatru, as well as more universalist Asatru, so some of these options are inherently more friendly to those who are transitioning from another pagan path to this one. Heathenry is not a path unfriendly to outsiders in the general sense, unless one is a hard core reconstructionist or traditionalist, and today's mainstream heathen community does include this, but such exclusionary views represent the minority, rather than the majority in my experience. Most heathens are happy to welcome newcomers into the path, and more than happy to find that the old gods seem to be calling more and more of us to their wise ways in postmodern times. That being said, I do...
Not long ago I wrote and shared a personal essay with the Norse Women group I am a part of, and it was well received, so I thought I would share it here on the blogosphere. The article is called "What is Vanatru" but I found that it was much easier to address that question by speaking more about what it ISN'T, rather than what it is definitively. There are several misconceptions about the Vanic way in both pagan and heathen circles, and I felt approaching the subject from this point of view helped to make the definition more understandable for those who are unfamiliar with the practice. I hope you all enjoy! What is Vanatru? Vanatru is a modern day revival of Germanic paganism which focuses almost exclusively of the Vanir Gods of the Norse pantheon. It is comparable to the modern revival of Aesir focused heathenry called Asatru. The wor...
Comments
Post a Comment